Saturday, November 8, 2014

(Seats of Power Walk)

My final walk was one of my favorites; it wound through much of what  I would define as central London and truly connected the city together for me as well as connected 'England' today with 'England' from the past. From the Banqueting Hall, Trafalgar Square, Horse Guards and their parade grounds, Parliament Square, St. James' Place, Buckingham Palace, #10 Downing Street, and many memorials, it was easy to see they want to preserve their history and honor people of the past who helped to crucially define the country.

Here are a few scenes that particularly drew my attention by their beauty and historical significance. 

"The Boldest Measures are the Safest"
Trafalgar Square; one of my favorite London scenes with Lord Nelson on top.

Home of the Horse Guards, posted everyday there from 11 AM to 4 PM.

Dressed in blue with red plumes means they are part of the Royals; if he was wearing red plumes he would be from the Life Guards. Just fun facts for you. 
Behind the horse guards is the old palace tennis courts from Henry VIII's time. Here tennis, bear baiting, and cocking fighting took place. 
Charles I looking away Trafalgar Square. (He was executed publicly; later his son Charles II essentially gave up the throne to William III and Mary II in the Glorious Revolution which influences the American Revolution greatly as well as much of how government is in England today.  

Three cheers to the real power of a country. 
I love the old lady leaving flowers. It's a beautiful thing to see that people truly don't forget those who gave up so much and robbed of youth and life so that ours could be better. (Memorial to those who died in Indonesia terrorist attack 2002).

Guard's memorial. Dedicated to those who gave their lives for their King and Country in the Second World War. 
Admiralty Arch. It was created the beginning of the 20th century as part of the ceremonial path to Buckingham Palace. The road is red to symbolize the red carpet, something I found really interesting. Originally only the monarch could use the archway, obviously things have changed now. Royals crack me up with their red roads and personal entrances.. The show they used to put up for the public fascinates me and much of it still exists today.

The gardens outside Buckingham Palace. I thought they were incredible because of how green and immaculate they were. 
Queen Victoria Memorial in front of Buckingham Palace

London has memorials everywhere you turn to honor the past and help keep on track for the future. They clearly have pride in the people that came before and want to pay tribute to the sacrifices made to this great country. It is interesting to think about their history when I have grown up essentially knowing only America's of the revolution, civil war, and the world wars. They have so many more years to cover, along with their histories of monarchs and churches. It is no wonder they build statues and memorials commemorating the past; without them it would be hard to keep track of the many important people and events that shaped this country. I love seeing them everywhere I go in London. They help me to remember not only the great people who fought for freedom here, but those who fought for my freedom in America. London may be my love, but America will always be my home. 

Love Always, Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment